The Cleveland Kids’ Book Bank is growing! We are seeking a Volunteer Services Coordinator who will focus on the volunteer experience. In five years, more than 6,000 people have volunteered at KBB. Without them, we could not sort, pack, and distribute 30,000 books a month!
The Volunteer Services Coordinator will provide excellent customer service to our volunteers, lead them through shifts and ensure they have a valuable experience. This is a full-time position. We anticipate that this individual’s time will be spent as follows: 80% “on the floor” greeting, orienting, and running volunteer shifts, with the remaining 20% spent on administrative work such as organizing the volunteer schedule and following up with individual and group volunteers.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Greets volunteers and welcomes them to the Book Bank. Ensures that the volunteer experience is enjoyable, positive, and satisfying. Gives context to the bigger picture of what we are doing (elevator pitch of mission, vision statement, literacy stats); trains volunteers how to sort/pack/sticker, etc.
2. Oversees volunteers during their shift to ensure tasks are being done correctly. Answers questions as they arise and facilitates an efficient and productive shift.
3. Helps volunteers move boxes of books from their stations (must be able to lift medium-sized boxes of books).
4. Preps and resets volunteer stations before and after each shift.
5. Checks for quality issues with books before, during and after shifts.
6. Collaborates with other KBB departments to identify needs and match available volunteers with mission-driven projects. Schedules and plans volunteer work efforts to best meet the needs of the organization.
7. Working with our Warehouse Manager, helps maintain the warehouse space and keep books and volunteer stations organized.
8. Oversees Volunteer Leads and others who are in volunteer leadership positions.
9. Occasionally, goes offsite to manage volunteers at book distribution events in the community.
10. Maintains database of volunteer schedules
11. Maintains database of volunteer contacts and hours of service
12. Participates in and coordinates volunteers for outreach and community events.
13. Responds to volunteer inquiries for CKBB
● Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in a social service, customer service facing role
● 2-3 years of working experience with groups of volunteers or customer service
● Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google docs, and database management.
● Personal experience living and or working in communities we serve, particularly Clevelandneighborhoods.
● A deep understanding and appreciation of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Salary and Benefits
● Salary range: $35,000-$38,000
● Eligible for annual bonus
● Annual performance review with potential merit increase
● Health care reimbursement plan
● Paid holidays and vacation time Work Hours
● Tuesday through Friday between 9:00-5:00 and Saturdays between 9:00-3:00. (Occasional evenings.)
The Kids’ Book Bank Culture
We are a small but mighty team making a difference for kids in Greater Cleveland! We are always thinking of creative ways to get more books to more children and to foster that love of reading that makes such a difference in a child’s future. The Kids’ Book Bank has been successful because we are
willing to try new approaches, reach out to new partners, and forge a new path. Each of us who works here is deeply passionate about this work. We are collaborative, creative, and respectful of one another. And we love a good laugh! To apply, send your cover letter and resume to HR@kidsbookbank.org.
Applications will be accepted through June 15, 2021.
The Cleveland Kids’ Book Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We make hiring decisions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or medical condition.