Choose a career where you can better someone else’s life, while bettering your own. The Greater Cleveland Food Bank is the largest hunger relief organization in Northeast Ohio having provided over 55.7 million meals in 2020 to hungry people in Cuyahoga, Ashtabula, Geauga, Lake, Ashland and Richland counties. The organization’s mission is to ensure that everyone in these communities has the nutritious food they need every day.
Apply for a position at Greater Cleveland Food Bank where we offer a culture of learning and development, competitive pay and amazing benefits including Low Cost Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-Term and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Generous Retirement Plan and Holiday Pay all starting on first day of hire and paid time off which starts after 90 days.
This position is a member of the Senior Leadership Team which helps guide the work and fulfill the mission of the Greater Cleveland Food Bank. The Vice President of Talent will lead our talent development, human resources and organizational culture building work and participate actively in developing and implementing organizational strategy. This leader will oversee our talented human resources and volunteer experience teams, recruiting, developing and mobilizing top-notch talent both paid and unpaid, in service to our mission of ensuring that everyone in our communities has the nutritious food they need every day. They will also lead our DEI work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is not all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned. Performance of the following duties is done personally or thorough subordinate staff
- Provides leadership, direction, coaching and development for the HR and volunteer experience teams, and serves as coach and advisor for leadership and staff throughout the organization. Provides thought leadership for training and development; designs and facilitates learning opportunities to achieve desired outcomes. Oversees orientation, training and development initiatives for all personnel.
- Works with senior leaders and staff to build the most engaged and effective employee and volunteer teams possible. Measures success and progress with both groups and looks for opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Partners with the CEO and directors’ team to influence, drive and maintain positive culture and engagement at GCFB resulting in engagement, efficacy and productivity.
- Leads DEI initiatives on behalf of the organization, helping us build the most diverse, equitable and inclusive food bank possible and ensuring that diversity, equity and inclusion are strengths of the organization. Accomplishes this in partnership with our active and engaged internal DEI committee, the senior leadership team, and in collaboration with the community.
- Seeks out opportunities to foster engagement with the community at large, increasing talent of all kinds. Creates capacity to meet mission related needs, through both paid and unpaid talent.
- Balances volunteer interests with organizational and operational needs. Oversees continued development of skilled volunteer program, seeking out additional interns, VISTAs, and skilled volunteers to help support our strategic work.
- Collaborates with the CEO and provides staff support to the work of the Governance Committee as we build the most effective Board and committee structure possible. Provides primary staff support as we consider candidates and find opportunities for them to contribute in appropriate roles.
- Reviews and updates charters, bylaws and other governing documents as appropriate and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Collaborates with the CEO and provides staff support for the work of the Executive/Compensation Committee.
- Provides direction, oversight and ultimate responsibility for the Human Resources systems, including recruitment, onboarding, benefits and wellness, employee relations, retention, coaching, performance management, compensation, and compliance.
- Creates and manages departmental budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Oversees two different departments, two direct reports, and a team of approximately five staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field. Master’s preferred. Law degree a plus. At least ten years’ experience as a senior manager, with deep human resources experience in talent development, or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or experience and/or education. Minimum of five years of business facing leadership experience consulting with and coaching senior executives. Experience recruiting volunteers and volunteer management. Passionate about hunger relief and building strong teams and culture. Demonstrates diplomatic and strategic skills in building and maintaining relationships both internally and externally, with strong and effective interpersonal, communication and management skills. Experienced in strategic thinking and planning, with strong communications and consensus building skills. History as a coach and executive leader for colleagues throughout the organization. Experienced in DEI work inside the organization and outside the organization. Self-directed yet flexible and excel in a fast-paced environment as a working VP. Board and volunteer experience, both personal and professional.
Don’t just apply for a job, apply at the Greater Cleveland Food Bank where our passion is feeding those in need and feeding the need for purposeful work. At the Food Bank diversity and inclusion are an important element of our culture and our organizational success.
At the Greater Cleveland Food Bank everyone has a seat at our table!
Proud to be a North Coast 99 Employer for 2020, 2019, 2018 & 2017
Proud to be a Cleveland.com Top Workplace for 2017