The Kids’ Book Bank is looking for a warm, enthusiastic book lover to become our new Volunteer Services Assistant. This is a part-time position – two weeknights (approx. 5pm-8pm) and every Saturday (9am-3pm). Pay is $15/hour.
The Volunteer Services Assistant will support the Volunteer Services Coordinator in facilitating volunteer shifts in our MidTown Cleveland Warehouse. Volunteers are crucial to the success of the Book Bank, so providing them with a positive experience is paramount. The Volunteer Services Assistant will work alongside volunteer groups of up to 20 participants, giving feedback and answering questions, as they sort through gaylords of children’s books. The books are checked for quality/condition, sorted by reading level, and ultimately packed into boxes to be distributed to our 1,300+ community partners.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Greets volunteers and welcomes them to the Book Bank. Ensures that the volunteer experience is
enjoyable, positive, and satisfying. Gives context to the bigger picture of what we are doing and trains
volunteers how to sort/pack/sticker, etc.
- Supports the Volunteer Services Coordinator in overseeing volunteers during their shift to
ensure tasks are being done correctly. Answers questions as they arise and facilitates an efficient
and productive shift.
- Occasionally is the primary leader of shifts when the Volunteer Services Coordinator is absent.
- Helps volunteers move boxes of books from their stations (must be able to lift medium-sized boxes
of books of approximately 40 lbs). Most of each two-hour shift will be spent on your feet.
- Preps and resets volunteer stations before and after each shift.
- Checks for quality issues with books before, during and after shifts.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills. Must be able to converse with all different types of people.
- Must have an appreciation for books and a passion for promoting literacy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have two weeknights of availability per week and availability every Saturday.
- A deep understanding and appreciation of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion
The Kids’ Book Bank Culture
We are a small but mighty team! We are always thinking of creative ways to get more books to more children and to foster that love of reading that makes such a difference in a child’s future. The Kids’ Book Bank has been successful because we are willing to try new approaches, reach out to new partners, and forge a new path. Each of us who works here is deeply passionate about this work. We are collaborative, creative, and respectful of one another. And we love a good laugh!
To apply, send your resume to HR@kidsbookbank.org through 4/30/22.
The Cleveland Kids’ Book Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We make hiring decisions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or medical condition.