+ BVU Membership
We help nonprofits ensure they receive the right support and are positioned to accept it.
We connect passionate people with opportunities to serve.
Ready to make a difference?
25 Years of Experience Working with Nonprofits
Doug Piekarz, President & CEO
Shana Marbury, General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Education and Workforce, Greater Cleveland Partnership
Helping Nonprofits Connect With the Community
BVU provides relevant and high impact services that strengthen the governance and leadership capacity of our region’s nonprofit sector. BVU’s nonprofit services include volunteer referral (board candidates, volunteer consultants, hands on volunteers), consulting and educational seminars.
“When I have a question, concern or need, I can turn to BVU and know that assistance, support and/or training is on the way.”
In January 2020, we are expanding our Nonprofit Membership Benefits. Join BVU’s network of over 250 nonprofit members.
Items in bold below indicate NEW or INCREASED member benefits.
- Consulting on board development, strategic planning, leadership succession planning, merger and integration, and executive transition planning (fee based).
- Referral and engagement of business professionals as volunteer consultants for project-specific consultations (member and nonmember service; engagement fee may apply).
- Fee waived to participate in “Ask the Expert” pro bono consulting events (3-4x/year).
- Quarterly webinar training on “Role of the Board” (access to in-person 1-hour custom board training for $250).
- Two free seats to BVU’s “Role of the Board” seminar
- 50% discount fees at seminars on nonprofit governance and management topics for board and staff members.
Nonprofit Leaders Events
- Opportunity for nonprofit leaders to share and discuss perspectives with peers from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations (3x/year).
- Linkage of your organization to BVU’s website and listing on BVU materials.
Volunteer referrals offered to all nonprofits, regardless of membership:
- Board Referrals: Potential referral of business professionals to your board. BVU strives to engage and refer candidates with diverse expertise whose skills and interests align with your organization’s needs.
- Direct Service/Team Volunteers: BVU’s Volunteer Center is a user-friendly online database for referral of individuals and teams. BVU promotes your volunteer needs to BVU member businesses and to the public, through print and electronic media.
BVU provides services to nonprofit organizations in Northeast Ohio.
- 501(c)(3) organizations with documentation of status on file at BVU
Municipal, county, state, and/or federal agencies serving the public
Public or private (nonprofit) schools
- Certain 501(c)(6) organizations e.g. Chambers of Commerce
- Compliance with federal policies and regulations regarding non-discrimination and accessibility, provides a drug-free work place, and maintains a safe working environment for all volunteers
- Operates out of a non-residential office
- Employs the equivalent of one full-time paid staff member
Annual nonprofit membership dues range from $200-$2,000, depending on budget size
|< or = $200k||$200|
|< or = $600k||$400|
|< or = $800||$600|
|< or = $1m||$800|
|< or = $1.5m||$1,000|
|< or = $5m||$1,200|
|< or = $10m||$1,400|
|< or = $20m||$1,700|