+ BVU Membership
We help nonprofits ensure they receive the right support and are positioned to accept it.
We connect passionate people with opportunities to serve.
Ready to make a difference?
25 Years of Experience Working with Nonprofits
“The change we really needed to make was to focus much more specifically on how to deliver the mission and how to expand investment in the zoo. This is really where BVU came in. As we were discussing how to best align the board, we knew we had to get someone in from the outside to help walk us through a board development process.”
Doug Piekarz, President & CEO
“We worked with BVU to establish a few advisory boards at Cleveland Metropolitan School District Schools…” “I found myself going to them (BVU) in terms of helping us setup the structure and the framework for these friends advisory boards. They’ve done it in the past, they continuously do it, and they bring a high-level of professionalism to the initiative.”
Shana Marbury, General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Education and Workforce, Greater Cleveland Partnership
Helping Nonprofits Connect With the Community
BVU provides relevant and high impact services that strengthen the governance and leadership capacity of our region's nonprofit sector. BVU's nonprofit services include volunteer referral (board candidates, volunteer consultants, hands on volunteers), consulting and educational seminars.
"When I have a question, concern or need, I can turn to BVU and know that assistance, support and/or training is on the way."Melanie Hogan
We listen to your needs, assess your situation and help you determine priorities and the path forward to ensure your organization is poised to make an impact. We provide a bridge to the business community so you can harness support and leverage deep experience and expertise. We create opportunities for you to network with and learn from other organizations and individuals in strategic areas essential to achieving your mission and priorities.
- Custom session (1 hour) to address your organization's board development issues (no charge).
- Referral and engagement of business professionals as volunteer consultants for project-specific consultations (member and nonmember service; engagement fee may apply).
- Consulting on board development, leadership succession planning, and volunteer management (fee based).
- Linking New Leaders "Speed-dating" event! Young professionals and nonprofits "meet" and prioritize their interests in a casual setting over food and drink. BVU is the match-maker, linking interested parties to foster future partnerships.
- Discount fees at seminars on nonprofit governance and management topics for board and staff members (offered at locations in Cleveland, Akron, Brecksville, Independence and Valley View)
Nonprofit Executive Network Events
- Opportunities for chief executives to share and discuss perspectives with peers from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations (no charge).
Board President Roundtables
- Opportunities for board presidents to share and discuss perspectives with peers from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations (no charge).
- Linkage of your organization to BVU's website and listing on BVU materials.
Benefits (REGARDLESS OF MEMBERSHIP)
- Potential referral of business professionals to your board. BVU strives to engage and refer candidates with diverse expertise and demographics, as well as their interest in particular organizations.
The Volunteer Center at BVU
- User-friendly online database for referral of individuals and teams of volunteers for Done-in-a-Day needs as well as ongoing volunteer needs. BVU promotes your volunteer needs to BVU member businesses and to the public, through print and electronic media
BVU provides services to nonprofit organizations in Northeast Ohio.
- 501(c)(3) organizations with documentation of status on file at BVU
Municipal, county, state, and/or federal agencies serving the public
Public or private (nonprofit) schools
- Certain 501(c)(6) organizations e.g. Chambers of Commerce
- Compliance with federal policies and regulations regarding non-discrimination and accessibility, provides a drug-free work place, and maintains a safe working environment for all volunteers
Criteria for referral of board candidates
- Operates out of a non-residential office
- Employs the equivalent of one full-time paid staff memberNonprofit Organization Budget/BVU Annual MembershipLess than or equal to
$100,000 / $100$200,000 / $160
$300,000 / $240
$400,000 / $320
$500,000 / $400
$600,000 / $480
$700,000 / $560
$800,000 / $640
$900,000 / $720
$1,000,000 / $800
$1,250,000 / $960
$1,500,000 / $1,000
$2,000,000 / $1,100
$5,000,000 / $1,200
$10,000,000 / $1,400
$20,000,000 / $1,600Greater than
$20,000,000 / $1,800