+ BVU Membership
We help nonprofits ensure they receive the right support and are positioned to accept it.
We connect passionate people with opportunities to serve.
Ready to make a difference?
25 Years of Experience Working with Nonprofits
“The change we really needed to make was to focus much more specifically on how to deliver the mission and how to expand investment in the zoo. This is really where BVU came in. As we were discussing how to best align the board, we knew we had to get someone in from the outside to help walk us through a board development process.”
Doug Piekarz, President & CEO
“We worked with BVU to establish a few advisory boards at Cleveland Metropolitan School District Schools…” “I found myself going to them (BVU) in terms of helping us setup the structure and the framework for these friends advisory boards. They’ve done it in the past, they continuously do it, and they bring a high-level of professionalism to the initiative.”
Shana Marbury, General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Education and Workforce, Greater Cleveland Partnership
Helping Nonprofits Connect With the Community
BVU provides relevant and high impact services that strengthen the governance and leadership capacity of our region's nonprofit sector. BVU's nonprofit services include volunteer referral (board candidates, volunteer consultants, hands on volunteers), consulting and educational seminars.
"When I have a question, concern or need, I can turn to BVU and know that assistance, support and/or training is on the way."Melanie Hogan
We listen to your needs, assess your situation and help you determine priorities and the path forward to ensure your organization is poised to make an impact. We provide a bridge to the business community so you can harness support and leverage deep experience and expertise. We create opportunities for you to network with and learn from other organizations and individuals in strategic areas essential to achieving your mission and priorities.
In January 2020, we are expanding our Nonprofit Membership Benefits. Join BVU’s network of over 250 nonprofit members.
Items in bold below indicate NEW or INCREASED member benefits.
- Consulting on board development, strategic planning, leadership succession planning, merger and integration, and executive transition planning (fee based).
- Referral and engagement of business professionals as volunteer consultants for project-specific consultations (member and nonmember service; engagement fee may apply).
- Fee waived to participate in “Doctor’s In” pro bono consulting events (3-4x/year).
- Quarterly webinar training on “Role of the Board” (access to in-person 1-hour custom board training for $250).
- Two free seats to BVU’s “Role of the Board” seminar
- 50% discount fees at seminars on nonprofit governance and management topics for board and staff members.
- Access to BVU members-only content on Cureo, including resources and discussion channels
Nonprofit Leaders Events
- Opportunity for nonprofit leaders to share and discuss perspectives with peers from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations (3x/year).
- Linkage of your organization to BVU's website and listing on BVU materials.
BVU members receive a 30% discount and a no-obligation 30 day free trial of Cureo’s innovative engagement platform to collaborate with your board, committees, team and volunteers. Learn more here.
Volunteer referrals offered to all nonprofits, regardless of membership:
- Board Referrals: Potential referral of business professionals to your board. BVU strives to engage and refer candidates with diverse expertise whose skills and interests align with your organization’s needs.
- Direct Service/Team Volunteers: BVU’s Volunteer Center is a user-friendly online database for referral of individuals and teams. BVU promotes your volunteer needs to BVU member businesses and to the public, through print and electronic media.
BVU provides services to nonprofit organizations in Northeast Ohio.
- 501(c)(3) organizations with documentation of status on file at BVU
Municipal, county, state, and/or federal agencies serving the public
Public or private (nonprofit) schools
- Certain 501(c)(6) organizations e.g. Chambers of Commerce
- Compliance with federal policies and regulations regarding non-discrimination and accessibility, provides a drug-free work place, and maintains a safe working environment for all volunteers
- Operates out of a non-residential office
- Employs the equivalent of one full-time paid staff member
Annual nonprofit membership dues range from $200-$2,000, depending on budget size
|< or = $200k||$200|
|< or = $600k||$400|
|< or = $800||$600|
|< or = $1m||$800|
|< or = $1.5m||$1,000|
|< or = $5m||$1,200|
|< or = $10m||$1,400|
|< or = $20m||$1,700|